Things that, as a mentally ill person, I do not find offensive:
- Using the words “crazy” or “nuts” or “insane” to describe something unexpected or incredible, such as “Mars has two moons?! That’s crazy!” or “Wow, those Westboro Baptists sure believe some crazy shit” or “that party was insane!" or "You really think you can have unlimited chocolate by cutting it a certain way? Are you insane?" or "One Direction’s fans went nuts when they stepped out of that chariot."
- Using words like “lunatic” or “madman” to describe someone who’s behavior is fanatical, like “Why is that raving lunatic shouting about abortion at this soldier’s funeral?”
Things that, as a mentally ill person, I find incredibly offensive:
- When you use the words “crazy” or “nuts” or “insane” or “lunatic” or “madman” or any variant as a way of dismissing me or people like me and acting like we’re not full people
- The portrayal in the media of mentally ill people as not existing beyond their illness on the rare occasion we’re shown as existing at all
- The portrayal of mentally ill people as dangerous, or more violent than mentally healthy people, or less intelligent and competent to run their own lives than mentally healthy people, and the fact that a lot of writers don’t seem to understand that “mentally ill” is not a motivation.
- The fact that every time there’s a mass shooting or a bombing or an attack and they can’t scapegoat a religion or race for the crime, the perpetrator seems to grow a mental illness just in time for the trial, and people think that explains (or in some cases excuses) what they did
- The fact that when people push for not allowing people who can’t use them responsibly to own weapons, they always seem to start at “mentally ill people” on the list of people who shouldn’t be allowed handle weapons, even though there’s no correlation between mental illness and violence.
- When people say “you’d have to be crazy to (commit atrocity)” even though no, sane people commit atrocities all the time. In fact, most violent crime is committed by people with no mental illness.
- The fact that I have literally seen otherwise-progressive people suggest that all mentally ill people be registered by the government, and perhaps required to identify themselves, and maybe imprisoned for public safety if the need arises. How would you have us identify ourselves? Should we wear a patch on our clothes, or just present our papers upon request?
But I think what really gets me the most:
- When mentally healthy people call others out on our behalf when it comes to things on the first list, but remain completely silent about, or even actively complicit in, everything on the second list.
When people say “you’d have to be crazy to (commit atrocity)” even though no, sane people commit atrocities all the time. In fact, most violent crime is committed by people with no mental illness.
this always sends me straight into a spiral of exasperated despair
you know what really annoys me? when a queer person makes a youtube video about them being queer and then some of the comments are like “I believe that homosexuality is a sin and disagree with you. However, I understand and will respect you in your decision to get married to the same gender.” and then someone screencaps it and posts it on tumblr with the caption “THIS!! //supernatural gif// THIS IS HOW TO BE RESPECTFUL TO QUEER PEOPLe! It’s ok to not like them if you are nice about it and SHOW Re SPE CT ~~+~ this person is being MATURE and a DECENT HUMAN BEING” like h e l l no
fuck all yall who think that seriously, get that nasty shit outta here
” Please take care of yourself! ”
girls don’t want boys girls want D.gray man to start serialization again
i am supremely pleased with this, it’s not even that these are my perfect fancasts for james and lily, but they’re a fuckload better than the movies, THEY DIED YOUNG, THAT WAS PART OF THE WHOLE TRAGEDY OF IT, THEY DIDN’T DIE IN THEIR EARLY FORTIES AFTER HAVING LIVED MOST OF THEIR WHOLE LIFE AND THEN FINALLY SETTLING DOWN TO HAVE A KID, oh no i made myself sad, but sigh, i have a lot of feelings about the marauders and lily (via laurellas)
AMEN HOLLA HOOLLA
I’m so spineless…I wanted to see you one more time.
And if I had to go so far as to betray that wish…Yes, I knew I could shoulder any sin.
No matter what I became, I knew I’d be fine with it.
As long as I could have you by my side.
girls don’t like boys girls like bisexual steve rogers headcanons
last thing I could draw before my tablet died hahaha o(-< this was for fe69min’s twintails theme!!
an au in which everything is the same except characters switch hairstyles. Some things should probably never exist…..